Welcome!

This a place where I can express my thoughts, dreams, and random ideas throughout the day.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Work-Aholic




My name is Amanda Nelson and I'm a workaholic. I never realized that I was one, because surrounding me were my teacher friends working just as long and as hard as I was. But my eyes became open when I heard this woman's story on the radio. She said, "I used to work as a sales associate for an accounting firm and my work defined my identify. However, now I am a stay at home mom and feel that I have no sense of identity anymore." I thought to myself, "how sad is that women whose whole life was her work, oh wait Amanda, that is you, your identity is wrapped up in being a teacher. It's what you think, breathe and live. This became disturbing to me because I don't want to end up like that woman, depressed because now her identity is mother and that is not enough. So, as a result of this epiphany I have decided to set a 70 hour limit on work this week starting today and lasting until Saturday. I'm off to a great start with 0 hours clocked in for today. However, I have conferences on Thursdays that last until 7 that could create a bit of a problem. I'm going to strive to trust the Lord through all of this and know that he will provide where I can not. At the end of the day, whatever I can not finish will be covered by God's Grace.

No comments: